This page is an archive of news articles related to network simulation and network emulation. In addition to this news page, I list all published posts on my Archive page.
January 16, 2017
- Mininet-Wifi now emulates Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks (VANETs). Users may use the Mininet-WiFi python API to create cars that move around in virtual space in an SDN network emulation. See Chapter 5.7 of the Mininet-WiFi user manual for more information.
- GNS3 version 2.0 beta 2 released.
Jan 3, 2017
- New York University recently released an open source end-to-end network simulator for 5G mmWave cellular networks based on the NS-3 simulator. See the article on the NYU Wireless web site. Also the project is hosted on GitHub. Now it just needs a cool name!
- LENA, the LTE-EPC Network Simulator, is also based on NS-3 and allows users to design and test Self Organized Network (SON) algorithms and solutions.
December 16, 2016
- Eve-NG is the next generation of the UNetLab network emulator. It is currently raising funds on Indigogo to fund development. The Eve-NG source code is available on GitLab.
- VNX created a new VNX Openstack network emulation tutorial that allows users to experiment with OpenStack and the OpendDaylight SDN controller. This new scenario is similar to the one they created earlier this year, but it uses a newer version of OpenStack and it uses VNX commands to build the OpenStack scenario, instead of DevStack.
December 2, 2016
- GNS3 2.0 alpha 4 has been released, which includes a “save as you go” feature, smart packet capture, VPCS/clouds/switches templates, cloud node refactoring, a new NAT node and some architectural changes to GNS3 Server and GUI.
- GNS3 released GNS3 version 1.5.2 in August 2016. Notable features added since version 1.3, when I last used GNS3, are: VMWare integration, remote packet capture support, Docker containers may be used to emulate nodes in the network, and GNS3 projects may be saved in a portable file format.
November 18, 2016
- Roland Kuebert has forked the psimulator2 network simulator project from the original, seemingly discontinued source and made the new version available at https://github.com/rkuebert/psimulator.
- The HYNESIM hybrid network simulation project is a network emulation project that has an open-source core component and also offers some additional features in a commercial package. The project web site is mostly written in the French language.
November 1, 2016
- The Cloonix network emulator has been updated to version 33.
- LStacker is a new project that builds virtual networks consisting of containers and bridges. It supports both LXC and Docker containers. It relies on new LXD container management features available in the Ubuntu 16.04 and later. See the LXD 2.3 release notes for more details. LStacker might be usable as a network emulator.
October 2, 2016
- The Interplanetary File System (IPFS) is a distributed file system that uses technology similar to that used in Named Data Networking (NDN) to connect computing devices with the same system of files. You can read more about its origins in the paper IPFS – Content Addressed, Versioned, P2P File System.
September 16, 2016
- The Mini-NDN network emulator enables experimentation on the Named Data Networking (NDN) platform. It is based on Mini-CCNx (see below) and it uses the latest NDN libraries, NFD, NLSR, and tools released by the NDN project to emulate an NDN network on a single system.
- Mini-CCNx is an extension of the Mininet network emulator that enables experimenting with Information Centric Networks, also known as Named Data Networks.
August 22, 2016
- ESCAPE: Extensible Service ChAin Prototyping Environment is an SDN emulation framework based on the Mininet network emulator which supports experimentation with service chaining architecture; including VNF implementation, traffic steering, virtual network embedding, and more. The ESCAPE source code is available at github.com/nemethf/escape.
August 4, 2016
- DockEMU is a network emulator that uses Docker Containers and Linux Bridging to emulate IP network functionality and NS-3 to emulate Ethernet and physical networking functionality. It seems like an effort to create a “best of both worlds” network emulator. DockerEMU was published about two years ago but has not been updated since. The paper describing DockEMU, DOCKEMU — A Network Emulation Tool, is available on academic publishing sites.
July 4, 2016
- Amazon’s new IoT Dash Button can be programmed to interact with the Internet of Things. Very cool project for open-source enthusiasts who run code on AWS.
June 21, 2016
- The Cloonix network emulator has been updated to v30. This new release includes a new client mode — cloonix_zor — that will search for running cloonix servers. It also replaces the slirp_lan object with a NAT object, and lays the groundwork for a new A2B object, which will enable users to specificity the attributes of a link.
June 16, 2016
- Cumulus Networks’ Topology Converter may be used to create network emulation scenarios using VirtualBox VMs and Vagrant. It simplifies network emulation if you want to use tools like VirtualBox, Vagrant and/or libvirt.
May 30, 2016
- The VNX network emulator posted a new VNX scenario supporting VPLS.
- The VNX network emulator also recently added new features: VNX now supports KVM virtio drivers, which should enhance the performance of KVM guests to near bare-metal levels; VNX now supports OpenBSD virtual machines; and more.
May 16, 2016
- The Ostinato packet traffic generator and analyzer claims to be “Wireshark in reverse”. I have not used it yet, but it seems to be a full-featured traffic generator that will run well in a VM so it should be useful tool to use in network emulation scenarios.
May 2, 2016
- The LINC switch is an OpenFlow switch written in Erlang. It runs as a user process in a Linux system and supports up to OpenFlow 1.4. It is integrated into the Mininet network emulator and can be used as an alternative to Open vSwitch in SDN emulation scenarios.
- The LINC Switch for optical emulation, or LINC-OE, is an extension of the LINC switch that emulates a WDM optical multiplexer. I found an example of using LINC-OE with Mininet and the ONOS SDN controller on the ONOS project web site’s use-cases section.
April 25, 2016
- I wrote a long blog post about Mininet-WiFi. I included four tutorials that demonstrate Mininet-WiFi’s ability to emulate mobile stations in an WiFi software defined network.
April 20, 2016
- OFNet is a new project designed to emulate SDN networks. It provides visual presentations of control plane transactions. The project offers a virtual machine image you can try. OFNet is an open source project and the source code is included on the OFNet VM, in the ~/ofnet/src directory. I e-mailed the developer to understand the status of the project and he says it is an active project and updates to the project web site will be coming in the future.
- Unified Networking Lab released another update, to version 1.0.0-8, delivering many improvements. See the announcement on the UNetLab web site.
April 11, 2016
- The Wireless Mesh SDN project uses the CORE network Emulator and NS-3 to emulate an SDN-controlled wireless mesh network on a single PC. They offer source code and a virtual machine image you can download.
April 4, 2016
- Greencloud is a packet-level simulator for data centers that models energy use and efficiency. It simulates the energy consumed by virtual data center IT equipment. Greencloud may be installed by compiling the source code or by downloading a pre-configured virtual machine. It is released under the General Public License Agreement and is an extension of the NS2 network simulator.
March 28, 2016
- Netkit released a new filesystem that includes support for experimenting with OpenFlow and related tools, including Open vSwitch and the Ryu controller framework. Download it from the Experimental Version section of the NetKit Official Releases page.
- Carlos Martín-Cleto created some SDN scenarios for the VNX network emulator. He posted them on GitHub at the following URL: https://github.com/cletomcj/vnx-sdn.
March 23, 2016
- The Unified Networking Lab (UNetLab) development team released a major update to version 1.0. See the UNetLab 1.0.0-4 release notes.
- OpenNet is a simulator built on top of Mininet and ns-3 for Software-Defined Wireless Local Area Network (SDWLAN). See this presentation and this academic paper.
- I recommend an interesting academic paper that describes Using the Cloonix network emulator as a wireless network emulator.
March 15, 2016
- Mininet-WiFi is a fork of the Mininet SDN network emulator which adds WiFi Stations and Access Points but otherwise works exactly the same as Mininet. The developer described his modifications in two presentations — presentation-1, and presentation-2 — and an academic paper.
- mac80211_hwsim is a software simulator for Wi-Fi radios that can be used to create virtual wi-fi interfaces that use the mac80211 wlan driver. Using this tool, researchers may emulate a Wi-Fi link between virtual machines. Some practical examples and supporting information are at the following links: lab, thesis, hostapd, wpa-supplicant, docs-1, and docs-2.
March 9, 2016
- CloudSim and CloudSimSDN are used to simulate datacenter networks. They are designed to test software performance in a cloud environment and appear to be used mostly in academic research. The academic papers outlining each tool are found at the following links: CloudSim and CloudSimSDN.
- I added a post describing tools that support OpenStack emulation by installing OpenStack on a single machine.
March 1, 2016
- The VNX network emulator project team added new vagrant and virtualbox Ubuntu 15.10 demo virtual machines for users who do not want to experiment VNX without installing it themselves. The demo VM is suitable for testing LXC-based scenarios.
- I added a post about using the Mininet network emulator with the openDaylight SDN controller.
February 18, 2016
- UNetLab is a new open-source network emulator that supports Dynamips, IOU, and QEMU devices. I added a description in the Open Source Network Simulators page.
February 17, 2016
- The GNS3 Network Simulator version 1.4.1 is released. It offers some improvements on top of the recent major release, version 1.4.
- The Shadow Network Simulator version 1.0.1 is released. This is a major update.
- The VNX network emulator project added new KVM root filesystems based on Ubuntu 15.10.
- I added a post about saving network topologies for the Cloonix network emulator.
February 4, 2016
- LINE is a network emulator that emulates IP networks and supports detailed analysis and reporting. I added a description in the Open Source Network Simulators page.
January 26, 2016
- Shadow is an open-source network simulator/emulator hybrid that runs real applications like Tor and Bitcoin in a discreet-event network simulation. I added a description in the Open Source Network Simulators page.
January 18, 2016
- I upgraded my Linux setup by purchasing a used Lenovo Thinkpad T420. See my review of the T420 as a low-cost Linux workstation.
- The GNS3 network simulator released a new update and is now at version 1.4. GNS3 version 1.4 offers VMware integration. See the announcement on GNS3.com.
- The Cloonix network simulator released version 29, which simplifies saving lab topologies. See the Cloonix web site to get the latest version.
December 15, 2015
- The VNX network simulator added a packaged laboratory scenario designed to explore an OpenStack environment running OpenDaylight as the network management provider. See the VNX web site for more information.