I used to use a Lenovo T400 laptop for my research activities in the area of open-source network routing and open-source network simulators.
These are my old notes about setting up the T400.
Install Xubuntu 14.04.
Install the following apps using Software Center:
- An easy-to-use image editor
- Note: install Pinta version 1.5 to get the latest features (the Xubuntu 14.04 repository inly offers version 1.3). Set up the ppa and install with the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pinta-maintainers/pinta-stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install pinta
- For command-line manipulation of graphics. I use it to quickly add borders and drop-shadows to an image.
- Markdown editor for blog posts
- skip this if installing in a virtual machine
Set up the XFCE desktop. I configured my XFCE desktop according to my own preferences.
Infrastructure to support simulation tools
Set up networking so the default NetworkManager app does not interfere with network simulations – Remove NetworkManager, install WICD
Fix some issues with CORE and Xubuntu
Fix the Quagga VTY shell problem
Install Cloonix network simulator
– Skip cloonix if installing in a virtual machine
Download and set up Mininet virtual machine
I prefer the Evernote web interface. Alternatively, I also sometimes use Everpad (an unofficial Linux client for Evernote).
If I ever do install EverPad, here is the procedure:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvbn-rm/ppa $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install everpad
Also see the advice offered in the following article: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first-xubuntu